Sunday, February 11, 2007

Spanglish

So, before leaving for this trip, I didn't really speak any Spanish. I had some language CDs, and I took a short class at a local language center, but that was it, I had about 20 words. Language school in Xela helped a lot, but I'm still not sure what's going on sometimes. We're practicing a lot - language tapes in the car, grammar books under the seat, but I'm still wishing 'good appetite' to the guy in the tienda who just sold me soap, and 'excellent!!' to the guy in the internet cafe when he tells me they close at 10, and at the paper store, looking for card stock to make flash cards, I asked if they sell homework (tarreas, tarjetas...almost the same thing).

2 comments:

Alan said...

Spanish should not be difficult to learn. I have seen little kids speaking it!!!

Unknown said...

I am just now catching up with your blog, after the usual insanity of Feb/early March USP stuff. This post cracked me up!!! It reminded me of a post on a forum on wordreference.com where a Frenchie thought that a "smokin' bod" meant that the person must have been really hot temperature-wise and was emitting steam. :) By the way, this is a good site for various foreign language - english translations, with a helpful forum for when there's no exact translation - as I discovered when trying to find the French equivalent for "dork." There is none. Dorks do not exist in France. Any French dorks, upon discovery of their dorkiness, are immediately exiled.